Thursday, January 19, 2012

NOFX - Maximum Rocknroll


Once again, I feel like the only person in the world who genuinely loves this album, which is a compilation of EPs and unreleased tracks that NOFX recorded from 84-86. Everyone else shits on this one, including Fat Mike, who would clearly rather write 3-chord snot-pop songs about dick jokes now. Although I wouldn't say that this album is my favorite of all time, it's actually probably my most listened-to album of all time. Sure, NOFX clearly weren't virtuosos at their instruments and Mike wasn't really a singer, but the sheer attitude, unpredictability, and brash intensity of the album speaks to me like nothing else. When I was introduced to punk as a kid, NOFX was one of the bands that I tried. I wasn't interested in most of their material, which sounded a bit too generic and stereotypically "pop-punk" for my liking. However, their early stuff -- this album in particular -- caught my attention, starting with the opening iconoclastic track "Live Your Life". "Wow, they used to be faster and meaner?" I thought. The songs aren't structured like most are, eschewing the ABAB structure prominent in a lot of hardcore punk for musical journeys that take you from one ripping part to the next. Erik Sandin's guitar has a mean shredding tone, and he uses it to alternate between mean "budget riffs" and unconventional and long musical phrases (long for fast hardcore punk, anyway). The entire band just chugs along with reckless abandon while Mike growls his angry and irreverent lyrics on top. It's just awesome. Every time I hear this album, I get this image of a group of societal outcasts with independent minds and strong spirits getting together in a dark room and just thrashing out, exorcising all of their innermost demons. A lot of the most influential albums for me influenced me as a musician. This album, however, influenced me as an individual and made me want to be in a band.

Besides, in spite of his clear amateurity, Erik Sandin plays with a sort of speed and abandon that can only come from a strong will and drive. His rapid-fire fills and galloping single-pedal beats on this album are insane. The guy has stamina.

The "Iron Man" cover is shit, but in a funny way. I never really cared for cover songs anyway.

Favorite track: A tie between "Live Your Life", "No Problems", and "White Bread"
Least favorite track: "Ant Attack"

Get it here

No comments:

Post a Comment