Monday, January 30, 2012

The Residents - Hunters


I'm kind of ambivalent about Hunters, which is a sort of electronic ambient album with some jungle percussion that was made as a soundtrack to a Discovery Channel TV series about predators in the wilderness. Hunters isn't bad, and maybe it'll "grow on me" later, but for now I don't get much out of it. "The Deadly Game" shows promise with its mysterious keyboard hum and plodding jungle percussion beat, but the tracks after that are mostly a bunch of forgettable pastiches of incongruous musical segments rife with nondescript "intense" melodies and looped percussion. I understand that the musical vagaries and stark minimalism are due to the fact that the music was meant to be a background soundtrack set to the scenes of the TV series, but then why bother releasing the music by itself if it can't stand on its own? Was there any actual demand from the fans? Did The Residents really think it was that good? Did they just want another way to make money? Whatever the reason may be, I consider the album to be more of a curiosity than a very *good* album. Still, it's almost an hour long, and there are a few delightful ambient passages to be found, so don't take my word for it. Let me know what you think.

Also, this album, like a lot of others that I've posted, has cheesy timbre (albeit not to the same extent as The Tunes of Two Cities). Big surprise, right?

Favorite track: "The Deadly Game"
Least favorite track: "The Dangerous Sea"

No comments:

Post a Comment