Saturday, January 21, 2012

Randy Pringle - Cythera (Ambrosia Software)


It's another video game soundtrack, this time from an overlooked 90's Mac OS 9 game by Ambrosia Software called Cythera. I don't really play plot-driven RPG's anymore -- just like I don't really listen to non-instrumental music anymore, for the most part -- but I do have fond memories playing this game back before I had an Intel-based Mac that wouldn't support anything from OS 9 or prior, and I still really love the music. Thankfully, Ambrosia Software have the music up for download.

Since the game was a fantasy-type RPG, the music reflected that, being somewhat folkish and mysterious-sounding. What's interesting about the music is that, for lack of a better expression (since I don't yet know much about music theory), it just flows. There isn't a lot of repetition or conventional structure to be found here -- "Kosha" being an exception -- and the tracks basically just progress in a beautiful flow of melody and chord changes, all while being short enough not to drag on for too long (all of the tracks here are pretty short, actually -- most are below 2 minutes). Maybe I'm biased because I have personal attachments to this game and I heard the music so much to know it all by memory, but I really enjoy the dreamlike atmosphere of the music. It'd be cool to find out what Randy Pringle has done since, because he really shows his skill as a composer here.

Favorite track: "Cademia"
Least favorite track: "Kosha"

Get it here

No comments:

Post a Comment